Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
Whether you need a complete roof replacement, repair, maintenance, or a quality roof inspection, choosing the right roofing contractor or company in the Wichita Kansas is important as we head into the Kansas storm season.
Statistics from the Better Business Bureau show that roofing contractors across the nation have:
- Had the highest number of consumer inquiries among 3,000+ business categories since 2007
- Been ranked 15th in the number of consumer complaints since 2010
- Had an 18% increase in consumers’ inquiries to the Better Business Bureau from 2010 to 2011
The majority of roofing contractors go out of business within 5 years while two-thirds of roofing issues are generated by the contractor’s workmanship. Since shingles are designed today to last 25-50 years, it is likely that the roof will be around longer the average roofing contractor.
That means selecting a qualified contractor is as important as the roof install on your home. Every home owner should ask the following when selecting a roof contractor:
- Since most issues are caused by the roofing contractors’ installation, should you be doing business with the lowest priced roofing contractor?
- What type of materials will be used and what is being compromised with the lowest priced roof?
- Does the roofing contractor have a permanent local office/facility (in a business district) with a local business number (not just a cell phone)?
- Has the roofing contractor been in business at least 15 years and can this be verified?
- Is the roofing contractor approved or certified with a shingle manufacturer or national insurance company?
For example, at S&A Construction, we take our relationships with our roofing customers, Owens Corning, First Choice Repair, and other national insurance companies very seriously. We encourage our potential customers to:
- Verify and examine each of our credentials
- Visit the Better Business Bureau to verify our company rating
- Communicate with our references both current and past
- Have access to copies of our liability insurance, certifications, and licensing
- Have the opportunity to obtain an extended manufacturer product warranty and extended manufacturer backed workmanship warranty
- Have the opportunity to obtain nationally backed labor warranty by First Choice Repair if your roof replacement is an insurance claim through specific Insurance Carriers.