Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
When remolding your home’s bathroom or kitchen, determining the right remodeling contractor or company in the Wichita Kansas area will make your project go much smoother. Below are a few ways to do your own evaluation.
Use Their Web Site - Get to Know the Contractor by Their Own Words!
Most reputable contractors have a website and will be upfront about themselves. Here are some tips and examples in what to look for:
- How long have they been in the remodeling business?
- Do they have a physical office and office phone number?
- Do they perform background checks on all staff and employees?
- Do they offer an open-door policy to the contractor’s owner's office and cell phone number?
- Do they maintain city licenses, county licenses, and various relevant professional certifications?
- Do they maintain adequate insurance liability (typically one million)?
- Do they provide written warranties?
- Do they have a remodeling showcase of their work?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau A+ rating?
- Do they have testimonials that are both current and past and look real?
Check Responsiveness - Contact the Contractor or Request an Estimate
One of the easiest ways to evaluate a remodeling contractor is to contact them via their website or give them a call. You want a company that gets back to you quickly (one to two business days by e-mail) or answers the phone immediately (unless it is after hours of course). Be sure they respond in a professional manner either on the phone or in well-written e-mails with proper grammar, spelling, and etiquette. A company that does this is at least promising and worth pursuing further.
The Good & The Bad of Using 3rd Party Review Web Sites
There are many review sites like HomeAdvisor, Yelp, or Angie’s List (paid membership) that can be effective tools but they can be hit or miss. Here are a few quick things to consider when using review sites:
- Look for review sites that specialize in remodeling or contract work. Sites that review everything tend not to have the best reviewers on a specific subject matter.
- Read through all the reviews carefully, don’t just look at the first one or the “most relevant”.
- Look at the dates and avoid sites whose reviews are clustered together within days of each other. This can mean they were faked or someone with an ax to grind – either way, it isn’t helpful.
- If a review is short it likely won’t be helpful. A good reviewer will be specific and cover the work that was done, any issues, and if they were resolved.
- The better sites verify the reviews are legitimate or at least include a real name (at least partial), city & state, and date.
- Look at the number of reviews. One or two isn’t going to be enough to base a decision on. Typically when a contractor has 15 or more reviews then the ratings start to have real value.
Look For a Remolding Contractor with Ideas
Most people are not interior decorators or don’t want to research all the remodeling options or possibilities. That’s where it helps to work with a remodeling company that can help you design your dream kitchen or bathroom not just build it. Be sure to look or ask for a showcase or portfolio of their remodeling work if they offer this service.
Do Your Homework & You Can Find a Remodeling Contractor You Can Trust
If you are looking for a remolding contractor, use the above suggestions and you will increase your chances of picking the right one. As always, let us know if you have any questions, other ideas, or comments!