Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
This month we will be focusing on exploring the options and benefits of adding room addition to an existing home.
Adding Value & Benefits
When adding an addition, it will improve a home’s value, add space, and bring new functionality in a variety of ways. Any addition helps expand the home when one has outgrown the home’s original living space. And room additions can bring new functionality to a home with additions such as sun rooms, offices, or recreation rooms. Both increased space and functionality will increase the value of the home overall. But one often over looked benefit is that an addition allows a home owner to upgrade without moving. So if home owner loves their neighborhood, but needs a change, then an addition is the perfect solution.
Things to Consider & Plan For
When looking to add a room of any kind to a home, there are several things a home owner will want to take into consideration and to be prepared when planning. The first thing we recommend is to determine what kind of room addition(s) one want as since they can be for a variety of reasons. Some common addition include:
- Master bathroom
- Master bedroom
- Recreation room, den, and “man cave”
- Living room
- Sun room
- Kitchen & dining room
After deciding what kind of addition, we recommend to our customers to keep the following in mind when constructing a room addition with any contractor:
- Seamless Design - The exterior design should complement the existing design of the home so that it appears if it was part of the original construction of the home. This will make it a seamless extension of the original.
- Full Service Staff – At S&A Construction for example, we have employee craftsman to perform a majority of the addition construction. However because additions can require other licenses and trades, it is best to have a contractor like S&A that has an office that is available 8-5 and will superintend with a project manager for every addition.
- Long Term Relationship with Trade Professionals – Be sure that like S&A Constructions that the contractor’s plumbers, electricians, and HVAC technicians are screened and have worked with them on previous projects.
- Additions take time to build – All addition work will require a tremendous amount of labor to construct and finish. A home owner should expect no less than 60 to 90 days from start to completion.