Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
‘Tis the season for Christmas lights, space heaters, fireplace activity, and winter storms. Is your home in the Wichita, KS metro area ready? In this post, we’ll discuss ways to prepare your home.
Tips to Prepare your Home for the Cold Kansas Winter Season
- Check smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. Be sure to test the alarms!
- Have all furnace systems inspected and cleaned. Replace the filters as recommended.
- Space heaters are handy, but after bedtime extra blankets are better. Never leave a space heater unattended.
- Love a beautiful crackling fire in the fireplace? Make sure your chimney has been inspected and the caps are on to avoid flammable debris lodging halfway up the chimney.
- Christmas lights, oh how beautiful they shine! Always use properly rated lights for indoor or outdoor usage.
- Check cords for cracked or broken bulbs and cords.
- Electric lights should never be used on a metallic tree. Connect no more than three strands of lights into an extension cord.
- Always turn off lights before leaving home or going to bed. Timers are a great way to control lights and save money on electric bills.
- NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON A LIT CANDLE!
What Other Preventions Should I Take?
- Smoke Detectors: The Wichita Fire Department provides smoke detectors and installation to homeowners. For hardwired detectors, call your local contractor. For more information, visit the Wichita Fire Department website.
- Gutter covers: S&A provides covers for a broad range of budgets. No more climbing on a ladder, risking a fall, or the hazardous piling up of flammable debris.
- Roof, Chimney, and Flashings: Have your roof, chimney, and flashings inspected if you have experienced high winds or hail, which typically occur during the fall or the spring. Snow and ice of winter in the Midwest compound the opportunity for further cracking, allowing moisture to enter and cause interior damage to your home. Nobody wants Santa falling off a bad roof or stuck in a clogged chimney.
- Water Spigots: Unhook hoses from outdoor hydrants, and never leave the home without heat while water is in the lines.
- Insurance Policy Review: Read your insurance policy and see our article on understanding common home terms! Not all coverage is the same. Be prepared and know that you have the coverage you need in case of an emergency or crisis.
Fires, Floods, and Hail Only Happen to Others, Right?
WRONG. They can happen year round, especially with Kansas weather, and in all neighborhoods, so it will never be a planned event. If such an event happens to you, never make a decision quickly. It’s human nature to hurry - just say no.
Take the time to research a fire and water damage restoration company to which you would entrust your home and valuables. Prepare a readiness plan. Take note of the companies available. Are they preferred contractors of insurance providers like S&A Construction and will they be around next year?
If you find yourself in an emergency situation in the Wichita, KS metro area (or McPherson or Hutchinson), consider S&A Construction, a BBB A+ rated professional in water, fire, and restoration. Give us a call at (316) 558-8422 day or night.
Sit back and enjoy a glorious winter season without worry.